Rework "Inspiration"

I finally got around to reading Rework. It's a book by 37signals that challenges how business is run today. It's a must-read for any entrepreneur and one of my favorite books this year.


There are many great lessons in the book: Learning from mistakes is overrated, Good enough, Scratch your own itch, No time is no excuse, Planning is guessing, Start something. I could write a whole entry for each one. But the lesson I remember the most, and the one that has had the largest impact on me, is about inspiration:
Inspiration is perishable.

We all have ideas. Ideas are immortal. They last forever.

What doesn't last forever is inspiration. Inspiration is like fresh fruit or milk: It has an expiration date.

If you want to do something, you've got to do it now. You can't put it on a shelf and wait two months to get around to it. You can't just say you'll do it later. Later, you won't be pumped up about it anymore.

Inspiration is a magical thing, a productivity multiplier. But it won't wait for you. If it grabs you, grab it right back and put it to work.
I've taken this to heart lately and it's worked wonders for my productivity and butt-kicking. No more writing ideas down on lengthy to-do lists that gather dust and never get finished (or started). Now, when I feel the inspiration to do something, I do it.

Always wanted to create a web app? Sit down and open an account on Google App Engine or Heroku. Need to update your resume? Open it up and make some changes! It may not be perfect, and the plan may not be clear, but you'll get more done now than if you waited until next week/month/year.

But what if I don't have enough time? That's phooey. If you like a boy/girl, you make time to call him/her. If you're excited and hyped up about a new project, you'll find time for it.

Don't let inspiration go to waste.